[Brno, in English] Salvation

Komunitní sekce o akcích a organizaci hraní. Diskuze o veřejných akcích a conech. Seznamka pro shánění spoluhráčů. A inzeráty RPG produktů. Všechno "přehledně" v jedné sekci!
fenikso

[Brno, in English] Salvation

Příspěvek od fenikso » 14. 9. 2012, 08:33

Salvation
Game preparation

We are still looking for players from Brno who would like to play in English.
We have decided to play serious dark themed and story focused game. We are probably going to meet once a month.
Majority of as are Czech, so do not feel threatened by the language. Take it as a fun way how to improve your English 8).

We will probably play Fate or Archipelago.

Obrázek
Used image

What if the 2008 financial crisis was really bad. I mean REALLY BAD. Famine, riots, mass corruption, whole system breaks and mayor calls for the martial law. Society struggles to rise from its ashes even years after. But there is a hope...

Theme

Suggestions:
  • No sci-fi, no fantasy, may be some kind of supernatural
  • Something is happening above and under the city, there are strange influences at work
  • Three major factions: The Church, The Drug Lords, and The Government
  • A lots of other smaller factions – local support group, militia, one place or street or park, sect, community...
  • Barter vs money
  • The Drug – for majority bliss and happiness, builds up dependance on the Drug Lords; for small percentage with immediate dire consequences
  • Electricity is luxury, food is expensive
  • You need documents to enter official enclaves
Motive: Moral decisions when you cannot stand aside and have to take sides

Genre: Dark thriller
  • Hope
  • Violence on the streets
  • The story starts at a turning point, characters will witness the moment of major change
Setting: The City under the rule of the Three Factions

Minor characters:
  • Salvation Army
  • Beggars
  • Hookers
  • Street people, gangs
  • Smugglers
Locations:
  • Black market
  • Cathedral
  • City hall
  • Salvation Army kitchen
  • Shelters
  • Sewers
  • Coal power plant
  • Disfunctional Metro
  • Waterfront
  • Three Faction zones
Characters

Peter Aleksejevic Rodin, newly released ex convict, sees everything, understands nothing, wants to believe in something
Aspects: Long fuse, ¡No pasarán!, Русская душа
Skills: Dirty Brawl +3, Hiding in shadows +2, Prison etiquette +2, Classical knowledge +1, Shiv +1, Locksmith +1, Strong back +1, 2 empty slots
Short term goal: Establish himself in the new society, find "home", survive
Long term goal: Find the "right" path and begin new life

Philip Cantor, drug addict who is clean for a while
Aspects: Flash foward/flash back, "Go to Hell, God!", "Please don't hit me Dad!"
Skills: Streetwise +3, Streetfighting +2, Alertness +2, Breaking and entering +1, Bullshit Artist +1, Throwing things +1, Urban athletics +1, 2 empty slots
Short term goal: Avoid/escape from/deal with the "attentions" of a local drug-lord to whom he owes money
Long term goal: To find a (spiritual?) replacement for the peace and euphoria he once found in drugs

Sinara Gray, independent bounty hunter who is now torn by thought of her sins
Aspects: Sinful and dangerous look, I find people – each and every time, "Nobody expects Sinara Gray"
Skills: Threatening +3, Parkour +2, Faction politics +2, Stealth +1, Art of seduction +1, Survival in no man's land +1, Guns +1, Brawl +1, Forced entry +1
Short term goal: Find out what happened to her brother
Long term goal: Decide if redemption is something she wants
Naposledy upravil(a) fenikso dne 11. 2. 2013, 22:48, celkem upraveno 10 x.

fenikso

Re: [Fate] Salvation

Příspěvek od fenikso » 14. 9. 2012, 09:18

Naposledy upravil(a) fenikso dne 29. 3. 2013, 15:44, celkem upraveno 2 x.

fenikso

Příspěvek od fenikso » 14. 9. 2012, 09:42

Creating characters in this FATE derivative is plain simple:

Pick name and character concept - name you character and write down the character concept in a brief sentence.

Pick 3 aspects - aspect is something special, important about the character. If the character plays in a movie, the aspects would be the things which would be in the camera focus most of the time. These are things which make your character important, interesting and fun to play. The aspects may be character traits, vivid descriptions, catch phrases, relationships, troubles, specific item, beliefs... A good aspect evokes the situations when it may be used to help and also to harm the character.

Pick skills worth 18 points - pick some skills for your character. The skills may have value of maximum +3, skills you do not have count as +0. You may pick classical skills known from other games such as: Athletics, Empathy, Sleight of Hand, Deceit, Stealth, Alertness, Driving, Guns, Burglary, Intimidation... You name it. But it is often a good idea to personalize the skill for you character, so they become: Running from the trouble, Facial expression reading, Lurking in the shadows, Motorbikes, Death threats, Lying, Razors etc. Always think about the conflicts in which you will use the skill.
Skill costs are as follows: +3 = 6 points, +2 = 3 points, +1 = 1 point.

Pick goals - pick one long term goal (something what the character may accomplish during campaign or may even in lifetime) and at least one short term goal (something what the character may accomplish in a one session)

Details - write down a short description, maybe a few phrases.

fenikso

Příspěvek od fenikso » 14. 9. 2012, 09:46

Sinara Gray, independent bounty hunter who is now torn by thought of her sins
Aspects: Sinful and dangerous look, I find people – each and every time, "Nobody expects Sinara Gray"
Skills: Threatening +3, Parkour +2, Faction politics +2, Stealth +1, Art of seduction +1, Survival in no man's land +1, Guns +1, Brawl +1, Forced entry +1
Short term goal: Find out what happened to her brother
Long term goal: Decide if redemption is something she wants

Sinara is a woman in her late twenties. She is tall with long gray hair usually fastened in a ponytail. She is a true independent – meaning she has already convinced the Factions that it is in their interest if she does not join them but works for them.
Sinara is a bounty hunter with a good reputation, however she has one rule: she finds people, she brings them back to her employer, but she never kills based on contract. Ever.
Her reputation together with her looks make her dangerous and somewhat unpredictable person. It is not unusual for her to appear from nowhere at exactly the worst time in a place you would not expect to be found at all.

"Please, do not reach for your gun. I do not want to shoot you. But my desires may change quickly."

"The bargain has two essential parts, sir. You tell me the name and I tell you the price. You pay the money. Beforehand."

"It is nothing personal. See? The Faction politics are at work here."

44kuba

Příspěvek od 44kuba » 14. 9. 2012, 10:27

My character - 2nd draft

Peter Aleksejevic Rodin - Newly released ex convict, more than five years behind bars, for the first time free in our "brave new world". Sees everything, understands nothing, wants to believe in something.

Son of Russian immigrants, born and raised in our city. 40 years old, average height, shaved head, shoulders little hunched, sunken eyes. Cautious, wary, keeps himself in shadows. Usually. Thinker with classical knowledge, but slow to speak first. Brawler, but never eager for fight. Believer, but never participating in any mass, distrustful to Church. Used to hard labor and harsh conditions. Survivor. Unsure, stubborn, sinewy, hard as rock ... with big emptiness inside and open heart somewhere underneath.

Aspects: Long fuse, ¡No pasarán!, Русская душа.
Skills: Dirty Brawl +3, Hiding in shadows +2, Prison etiquette +2, Classical knowledge +1, Shiv +1, Locksmith +1, Strong back +1

Short term goal: Establish himself in the new society, find "home", survive.
Long term goal: Find the "right" path and begin new life.
Naposledy upravil(a) 44kuba dne 16. 9. 2012, 03:03, celkem upraveno 2 x.

blackomatic
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od blackomatic » 14. 9. 2012, 20:42

looking great, I'll think about it over the weekend.
again, looking GREAT

fenikso

Příspěvek od fenikso » 14. 9. 2012, 23:20

44kuba píše:My character - first draft
I think it is great. I especially like the skills, "shiv" is masterpiece (took me a while to find out the meaning).
44kuba píše:Very long fuse with quadruple portion of powder at the end, ¡No pasarán!, Enlightened.
However what I do not understand are the aspects :think:. Please try to explain them a bit.

I probably know what the first mean, but I am not sure. Either way, it is a bit long, can you please shorten it a bit? I like the "They shall not pass" one, however I have troubles to find out the negative meaning a bit. I have some ideas, but I would like to know yours. The last one really does not ring a bell.

blackomatic
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od blackomatic » 15. 9. 2012, 02:21

My Character so far:

Philip Cantor is the 22 year old son of an alcohlic (dead) mother and a born again (Christian?) street preaching father who tried to beat the word of God into him. Philip has been living on the street since he was 17 and until recently was addicted to HR (Heaven Rush) a synthetic amphetamine laced hallucinogen. Possibly due to the drug use Philip is subject to (prophetic/glorious/nightmarish) visions.

Philip is medium height, thin, shoulder length greasy black hair tied back in a pony tail, carries knives.

Aspects: Flash foward/flash back (visions), "Go to Hell, God!" (while maintaining some belief in a "higher" power/world he hates and fears the authority aspects), "Please don't hit me Dad!" (while fighting has been necessary to survive, he fears it terribly. This fear causes him to fight like a cornered animal and/or suffer panic attacks during physical conflict)

+3 streetwise, +2 streetfighting, +2 alertness, +1 breaking and entering, +1 Bullshit Artist, +1 throwing things, +1 urban athletics

Short term goal: Avoid/escape from/deal with the "attentions" of a local drug-lord to whom he owes money
Long term goal: To find a (spiritual?) replacement for the peace and euphoria he once found in drugs.

blackomatic
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Money

Příspěvek od blackomatic » 15. 9. 2012, 03:27

I have a different opinion about currency in the No man's Land. I think some sort of money would have informally evolved, You can't live on pure barter. Many people would use barter when they didn't have money but there would still be some tender used...i think...

44kuba

Příspěvek od 44kuba » 16. 9. 2012, 03:02

Comment on aspects:

!No pasarán! - as you know, they nevertheless passed at the end, if you look at history of Spanish civil war. But i see it as something more than basic "stubborn or headstrong". There´s something more ... I´m able to withstand a lot, but when I´m forced to this position, I got a flaps on my eyes and I´m no more able to withdraw or rethink or do almost anything other than trying to resist. This is basically passive mode, you are only reacting on some form of attack, threat, insult, wind of change, anything that wants you to move away. So there´s fatal flaw - you cannot see clearly and back off, you´re deeply rooted to one place (physicaly or mentaly, it doesn´t matter).

Very long fuse with quadruple portion of powder at the end - well, I don´t know any good phrase for this aspect, so I´ve been forced to use a long sentence :-). It takes a long time to set me off, often I pass over a lot, even very bad and insulting situations, without any adverse reaction ... but sometimes everything inside overflows and then I could explode - seemingly exorbitant physical or social reaction, switch from passive and reactive mode to something destructive and very very fast. What about "long fuse" only?

Third aspect - I wanted something spiritual, to give myself something deeper than pure survival, something with depth and meaning. I agree, "Enlightened" is probably incorrect and incomprehensible. I´ve different idea - "Русская душа", Russian soul. It´s probably also a complicated concept and not easily described in few lines, please look at

Kód: Vybrat vše

http://heideggerm1.blogspot.cz/2011/10/beauty-of-russian-soul.html
I´m not 100% sure, how to bring this to RPG play, but it gives me endless possibilities to try :-). Our game concept is quite gloomy and faith and beliefs are percieved through dark glasses, this aspect enables me to try find (play) something deeper or with deeper roots. And there´s a endless posibilities for flaws, look at fatalism, mistrusting of rational thought ... But I´m open for ideas, if you don´t like it, I´ll try to redefine once again.

44kuba

Re: Money

Příspěvek od 44kuba » 16. 9. 2012, 03:14

blackomatic píše:I have a different opinion about currency in the No man's Land. I think some sort of money would have informally evolved, You can't live on pure barter. Many people would use barter when they didn't have money but there would still be some tender used...i think...
Ad currency: I´m not sure, if there was enough time to establish something like 2nd currency, beside the main one. Meine meinung nach, if there´s some business, it it done with the "official" money OR barter. Outside the official zones - barter is more common, but it is no problem to use money. But everything will cost more ... When we speak about currency, I need some backing authority for its value and outside official zones there´s nobody strong or willing enough to establish or maintain something so complex as "new money".

What about to give our city some name? Do you have any ideas?

fenikso

Příspěvek od fenikso » 16. 9. 2012, 19:51

blackomatic píše:I have a different opinion about currency in the No man's Land...
I am with Jakub on this one. I imagine that you still can pay with money in no man's land, but when you get farther from the Three Factions, the lower is the value. Up to the point that people may refuse money.

fenikso

Příspěvek od fenikso » 16. 9. 2012, 19:53

44kuba píše:What about to give our city some name? Do you have any ideas?
I am fine with the City, the Drug, and the Three Factions 8). BTW, have you noticed that our setting is quickly shifting to post-apocalyptic feeling?

fenikso

Příspěvek od fenikso » 16. 9. 2012, 19:55

Jakub's aspects: Yeah, I like all of them. How about "Long fuse, big bang" for the first one? :D

blackomatic
Kontaktovat uživatele:

Příspěvek od blackomatic » 16. 9. 2012, 20:02

The reason I am talking about the money is that I am wondering if my character was a drug addict, what did he barter to get the drugs? what do thieves steal when they rob someone? what shops are still open? just asking...

and what do you guys think of my character/aspects?

I noticed Kuba didn't use up all 18 points for skills so i didn't either, any reason for this?

Odpovědět

Zpět na „Akce, seznamka a inzeráty“